Saturday, August 15, 2015

Making Pickles


I can be, and have been, called a lot of things.  “Domestic Goddess” is not one of them.  Although there have been a few times in my life where I cooked on a slightly higher level, there haven’t been many.  And recently, most of my cooking involves reading the instructions on a frozen dinner from Trader Joe’s.  But I recently ran across a recipe for refrigerator pickles which looked good—and easy.  And so it turned out to be.

Refrigerator pickles are canned in the ordinary way, except the final steps of pressure cooking, sterilizing, and preserving for all of eternity are not used; the pickles are simply kept in the refrigerator until eaten, and they can be kept for “up to” three months, whatever that means.

Over several days I collected all the ingredients (see the recipe below), followed the instructions to the letter (with some minor exceptions), and the results you see above: delicious pickles!  And they aren’t going to last three months, either.  I’ve already gone through two jars and am on the third (of five).

My next kitchen magic:  madeleines!  These are the small sponge cakes, baked in a special muffin tin, each mold shaped like a seashell.  They are always associated with Proust and the opening of In Search of Lost Time.  I’ve already got the pan.  I just need to get the Moxie, and a few ingredients, to attempt them.  No doubt I’ll give a full report here.  I should also, while I’m at it, finish reading In Search of Lost Time.

In the meantime, here is the refrigerator pickle recipe for interested parties:

Brine:
10 cloves garlic peeled
2 cups white vinegar
6 teaspoons kosher salt
Several sprigs fresh dill
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

Vegetables:
6 Kirby cucumbers, quartered lengthwise [I used organic, unwaxed cucumbers]
6 medium carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
A handful of green beans
A few pieces of cauliflower
2 jalapeños

Instructions:
1.  In a medium saucepan, boil 4 cups of water; reduce to a simmer and add garlic.  Cook 5 minutes.  Add vinegar and salt; boil.  Stir until salt dissolves.  Remove from heat.

2.  In two 1-quart mason jars [I used 5 1-pint jars], add dill, seeds and peppercorns.  Using tongs, remove garlic from brine and add to jars.  Pack jars with vegetables and chilies.

3.  Bring brine to a boil and pour over vegetables, to cover.  Cool, cover and refrigerate.  The pickles are best after a few days and keep for up to 3 months.

[Source: June/July 2015 issue of AARP Magazine]

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe! Thanks for the blog. You are amazing--everything leads back to books! You're the best! (I eat a lot of frozen TJ dinners too but am going through a "I can't eat another frozen TJ dinner" period.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me at "jalapeno." Can you substitute taking a swig of gasoline and lighting it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same with me, Mollie: I'll go for periods when I can't handle another TJ's dinner; they do seem to have a certain sameness.

    And Roger, the pickling takes the heat away from the peppers (and I take the seeds out), so they are just crunchy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete