Saturday, December 27, 2014

How Many Are Too Many?


I’ve been a lover of the personal computer for a long time.  My first computer was a TRS-80.  It had 4 KB of memory and extremely limited use.  I taught myself BASIC and wrote several programs, including one for averaging grades.  I quickly updated to a 16 KB version.  Programs were saved on a tape player.  The thing was clunky and I absolutely loved it.  Thinking back I find it all rather astonishing what has changed over the years.  But change it has.

I now, to my total astonishment, have four totally functioning computers: my MacBook Pro, my nifty new iPhone 6, an iPad, and a ChromeBook.  I got the ChromeBook when my first generation iPad got so obsolete that I could only use it for playing solitaire.  I decided I couldn’t afford a new iPad, so I got the ChromeBook for a mere $198.00.  It’s web-based, i.e., there’s very little actually on the computer; everything is accessed through the web.  All told that little computer has been a dandy.  I still use it for streaming movies on Netflix or Amazon Prime; it’s comfortable on my lap and with ear buds, it works just fine.  And then about a month ago a friend who updated his iPad passed his down to me, so I’m back with a fully functioning iPad.  Four computers!  Good grief, do I really need all four?

The easy answer is no.  But I do use them all; I mean, as long as I have them, I may as well use them.  The ChromeBook sits by my easy chair for fast access while watching TV or reading; the iPhone is always with me and I use it sending messages, checking my e-mail, practicing my Spanish on Duolingo, playing solitaire—oh, and making telephone calls; the iPad goes with me every morning to Starbucks where I am the designated looker-upper when disputes arise (and they always do); and I use my MacBook Pro for everything else.  

Could I get along with fewer?  Certainly.  Am I getting rid of any of these?  Don’t bet your bippy on it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you techies! I have yet to advance beyond the chalk-and-blackboard, two-Dixie cups and a long string stage of communication. As in so many things I stand in awe of your flexibility.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I missed a few of your blog posts, so catching up here, ... . If someone has four computers AND has uses for all of them, then I say more power to you. I fall more in Dorien's camp. I have my PC at work, one at home and a mini iPad I won in a raffle at work--like six months ago. Haven't set it up yet! No smart phone. Several reasons why not, but I'm happy with my non-smart phone. It's compact, it's "green," I can take okay photos with it and I can text on it. Oh, and I can make calls and receive calls. LOL!

    ReplyDelete