Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sorry, Ken, I'm Spending Your Inheritance



I live on a rather tight budget.  I have my Social Security check and my retirement pension, but that’s it.  So when I recently decided to take an Adriatic cruise in August with my best friend Roger, there was nothing to be done but to withdraw some funds from my rather limited investment account.  This is the account that is designated to go to my brother Ken when I shuffle off this mortal coil—years and years in the future, of course.  The investment account isn’t busted, but it’s greatly reduced (I’m also paying off a credit card bill).  Fortunately, Ken is way better off than I am, so my paltry sum won’t be missed much.

And the photo above is totally misleading.  But I couldn’t resist using it.  Ken is actually the best-natured of brothers, and although the inheritance has been reduced somewhat, he won’t even miss it.  I hope.  I hope, in fact, that he’ll miss me!  I mean I keep him on his toes with cartoons that put Republicans in a bad light (it’s so easy to do) and constantly rag him about his inexplicable aversion to opera (he actually walked out of a performance of Porgy and Bess, a performance for which people were clamoring for tickets; truly, I don’t understand it).  He’s more likely to miss my wiseacre-ing (is that even a word?) than my money.

So, Brother-Mine, perhaps you should lower expectations about that even bigger sailboat you were going to get with my money; you might even consider downsizing to a canoe.

Here’s a much better photo of Ken.  This is he with a favorite cat of his, both snoozing away.  What’s not to love!

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha! This is a good one. At least Ken is forewarned not to count his chickens, . . . . Love it that you are treating yourself to an Adriatic cruise and going with Roger. It sounds delightful! So, how long is the cruise and what ports will you be stopping at? Need a vicarious trip to think about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't I told you all about the trip, Mollie? So sorry! I thought I had. I'll send an e-mail with details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always leave everything to a trust so that Jake can continue living the life to which he/she has become accustomed. It would be cruel to cut off his/her daily supply of imported caviar just because you were so thoughtless as to die without making adequate arrangements. Oh, yes, and part of that trust can go to providing whoever cares for him/her with elbow-length padded gloves lest the caregiver does something to displease Jake and end up with shredded arms and hands.

    ReplyDelete