Friday, February 1, 2013

Me and the Granny Cart

About the only thing I miss about not having a car is the ability to drag large quantities of groceries home from the store.  Instead, I have to make multiple trips to the store carrying only what I can lug on my arms.  A possible solution is the wheeled cart, commonly called the “granny cart.”  And therein lies the problem: old people use these carts, and I’m not . . .  I don’t want . . .  Okay, it’s a matter of pure pride: I don’t want to be one of those old people dragging a cart wherever they go.

Silliness, I know.  And in this part of town, it’s not just old people who use these carts, since many young people also don’t have cars.  But who notices a 20-something with a granny cart?  But were I to use one, people would be offering me their seats on the train and passing to the other side of the street as I neared.  I’m not ready for that.

But a solution has presented itself: a stylish Trader Joe’s granny cart!  It’s colorful, useful, and light; and since the logo is clearly obvious, I can show that I’m trendy and cool and environmentally conscious. . . if still old.  My friend Roger got one and I’ve used it a few times.  Really a good way to go, I think: I’ll still have a granny cart, but I won’t look like a granny.

But life is never easy: I headed to Trader Joe’s to get one (only $12.95, too) and they are out!  And as far as anyone knows, they are not restocking them.  Damn, damn, damn . . .  I  may as well get a granny cart, put on a shawl, grab a cane, and head to the store.



1 comment: