Friday, November 16, 2012

Riding the L



There are few things more associated with Chicago than the elevated system, known as the L (although some insist on calling it the “el” which is, in fact, the New York City system).  It’s my great good fortune to live right next to an L stop, the Diversey Station, so I use the L more than any other way around town; in fact, because of the nearness of the station, after living here a year, I sold my car.  And have not missed it a bit.

As you can see from the map below, the L centers around downtown and the Loop.  Trains either pass through the Loop or circle around the Loop and return from whence they came.  Only the Brown Line and the Purple Line (a rush hour line only) stop at Diversey.  Those trains take me right downtown, and since they loop around, they pretty much get me any place I want to go downtown.  The Red Line also goes downtown from my area, but I have to take a Brown to the next stop and then pick up the Red.  The Red becomes a subway as it nears downtown and follows the famous State Street, splitting the Loop in half and then heading on south.

The trains generally run about every ten minutes, so there’s never a very long wait.  Of course with my luck I often--or so it seems--get to the platform just in time to see the train pull out.  But the wait is short.  Since, with one exception, I don’t have to travel during rush times, the trains are often not crowded and seats are available; but there’s no doubt that occasionally you’re going to have to stand.  At my age, rather disconcertingly, young women tend to offer me their seat--never young men--although I always refuse their offer with a smile and “I’m not that old” comment.

There are occasional other problems with the L.  Sometimes, if the trains begin to stack up, they will run express.  This means that they make an announcement that they will be skipping the next few stops and if those stops are your destination, to get off the train and await the next train, usually right behind.  I can imagine that this is a problem for visitors who don’t know the stops well; but when I hear it, I know if I need to get off or not, and then there is a mad scramble for the exits.  Another problem is the occasional closed station, usually for rail or platform repairs.  I get the weekly e-mail alert from the CTA so I can always check on those.  About two weeks after moving here, my station closed for a total remodeling; for months I had to walk south to the Fullerton station or north to Wellington.

My one day to ride during rush hour is Tuesday morning as I head to class.  I always dread that ride.  By the time the train gets to Diversey, it’s already crammed full; I often don’t get a seat, and since I’m lugging my messenger bag and my book bag, it’s impossible to read while standing;  and it’s a boring ride by oneself and without a book.  I take the Purple Line as it goes clockwise around the Loop and gets to my stop before the Brown Line, which goes counterclockwise.  The rush hour passengers are different from passengers at other times: quiet.  People are off to work, perhaps sipping their coffee and reading the paper, and they are not traveling in packs.  No one talks, other than the occasional boob on his or her cell phone.  It’s a good idea to wear plenty of deodorant on those commutes as you can bet you’re going to be jammed in like the proverbial sardine.

In spite of the occasional problem, I love riding the trains.  And after being here over five years I haven’t tired of them one bit.  Come to Chicago and ride the L!

2 comments:

  1. The el (okay, so I go with the New York spelling) is truly one of the many wonders of the city, almost totally unappreciated by the hundreds of thousands of people who ride it every day. Nice to know that someone other than me appreciates it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do appreciate it! And the comment about the spelling of L/el was directed at, well, you. But you knew that......

    ReplyDelete