Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Five Years Today!


It’s hard to believe but as of today I have lived in Chicago for five years.  Five years ago I pulled into the parking lot and entered this apartment for the first time; the movers arrived the next day.  After three days on the road--I took that long since I was traveling with a very unhappy Jake--I was exhausted and full of doubts about whether I had made the right decision.  Chicago?!  Lordy, that’s a big step from Harker Heights, Texas.  And even though I had lived in a number of big cities before, Houston, Dallas, and San Diego, Chicago was a hugely intimidating place.

But the decision to move here was a great one.  I have fallen in love with this remarkable city.  I constantly look around me in wonder: “This is my city?”  I’ve explored many parts of it, but there is much more to know.  But it is indeed my city.

I won’t list everything I love about Chicago; that would be too long and be too tedious for those not lucky enough to live here.  But I will name the top two things: 1. is my friendship with Roger, who encouraged me to move here, for which I’ll always be grateful, and who has remained a dear friend in spite of my irascible character, and 2. the cultural events here, most notably opera.  But then there’s the Art Institute and the Lily Pool and . . .  Damn: I’m listing again.  I could go on and on, but, as promised, won’t.

Five years!  And a great five years it’s been.  I’m ready for five more.

2 comments:

  1. FIVE Years?! Why does it seem like you've lived there longer than that? Maybe because the city welcomed you and you the city, so it's been a love affair. Making new friends, keeping old ones, finding STF, finding Geri, indulging in all the culture you have time for, ... . When I retire I hope I find a home like you have. Love, me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And I really appreciate your reading my blogs.

    ReplyDelete