Monday, June 11, 2012

Who Would Have Guessed?



Sometimes, too much information is not a good thing.  I just found out that some of the germiest places we come across in an average day are restaurant menus!  Who knew?  I was reading an article on-line from AARP (I am of a certain age, after all) about common places with the most germs.  Menus were number one.  But then as the article asked: have you ever seen anyone ever clean a menu?  And think of the number of people who handle menus.  I’m not a germaphobe, but I’ll be using hand sanitizer after ordering in the future.  [For the record, my spellcheck likes neither “germiest” nor “germaphobe"; screw it.]

And you’ll never guess what comes in second.  I couldn't have been more surprised--or disgusted:  lemon wedges.  Like in iced tea.  A recent study found that 70% of lemon wedges had germs on them,  including E. coli and other fecal bacteria.   Euuugh..........  “No lemon, please.”  [Another note: I had to look up how to spell “euuugh”; what is surprising is that I found it.  What is not surprising is that my spellcheck doesn’t like it.]

Third was condiment dispensers.  The same people who handle menus also handle condiment dispensers.  Is it considered bad form to wear rubber gloves while eating in a restaurant?

After that were restroom door handles.  Hardly surprising.  Come on guys, how many times have you seen men leave without washing their hands?  I always use a paper towel to open the door.  But then what does one do in restrooms with those infernal blow dryers?  Maybe I’ll just pee in the alley; I know my body is clean.

Then comes soap dispensers.  Makes sense: you use the soap dispenser before you wash your hands.   Charles Gerba, Ph.D., who directed a study of bacteria on soap dispensers, said, "[T]he bottoms are touched by dirty hands, so there's a continuous culture feeding millions of bacteria."  And think where those hands were just a few seconds before touching the dispenser?  I grow faint . . .

The list is rounded out with grocery store carts, airplane bathrooms, and doctor’s offices.  Doctor’s offices?  That is, after all, where sick people go.  I would guess hospitals are much the same. 

I think I’ll just shut myself up in my apartment, hand sanitizer at the ready, and never venture forth again.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, you just watched "Contagion"; you ought to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mentioned it, menus as culture dishes of germs makes a lot of sense to me. Lemon wedges started giving me the willies a few years ago & I don't use them, or I ask they don't put one in my water (I'm not an iced tea drinker). I just can't euuugh enough about them. Just think about it: do you think they wash the outside of the lemon? Did they wash their hands before slicing them up? Oh, it is TMI!! Especially places like the Soup Plantation where the lemon wedges sit festering in a big plastic tub for the eating public to dig into.

    Some places are getting the message that motion-detected soap dispensers, faucets AND towel dispensers make sense. Yeah, no offense, but when a restaurant or other place has unisex bathrooms, I'm pretty put off by having men in there. For exactly the reasons to which you alluded!

    Ever watch the Big Bang Theory? Sheldon, the main character, (played by the smart and wonderful Jim Parsons)is an incredibly intelligent, highly neurotic, and innocently narcissist theortical physicist. And he's got himself into trouble more than once trying to avoid germs at ALL costs! A true germophobe. But I think he's on to something.

    And it's too true: go to the hospital and die. Sad, but true. The statistics are mind-numbing.

    But back to Jim Parsons: he's playing the lead in "Harvey" on Broadway through early August. Got a good NYT review. Maybe you two could catch it? I know D would LOVE it.

    Great blog post, Gary!

    Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "Big Bang Theory"! And I don't think I'm as bad as he is, but I have my moments and always carry hand sanitizer, especially since I travel by public transportation. As if there's not enough in the world to worry about . . .

    ReplyDelete