Friday, April 20, 2012

Short-Lived Resolution





Before I even start, let’s get one thing out of the way: “short-lived” is pronounced with a long I, as in “short life,” from whence it came.  Anyone who was ever in my class or sipped a beer with me knows how I feel on this.  And I don’t get a crap who says “short-lived,” as in “short live” (which anyone can see does not make a lick of sense), I (my ashes, actually) will go to my watery grave saying “short-lived” with a long I.  Now on to the resolution:

A few days ago I decided I was watching too much television.  So, I resolved to go without TV for a week.  I worked out some details--movies didn’t count nor did downloading Rachel Maddow on the iPad--set my jaw firmly, and went back to my book and coffee.  Later that evening, 20 minutes into The Evening News with Diane Sawyer, I remembered my resolution.  Not only had I broken my firm resolution, I hadn’t even remembered that I had made such a resolution.  Only one thing to do at that point: say “fuck it” and spend the rest of the evening watching TV.

And thus with most of my resolutions . . .


3 comments:

  1. Interesting resolution. What prompted it besides thinking you watched too much TV? I have a friend who doesn't watch TV, but uses it for watching movies. She hides it behind her couch--and not to avoid temptation. She just doesn't watch TV. You could try again--one hour at a time. :-) Oh, and who is that character at the end of your blog? Don't know what he/it stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep a list of books I read; it's gotten disturbingly short. So I decided I was watching too much TV. Still am! As for the figure at the end: another resolution short-lived: to lose weight. That figure is pretty much a profile of me. Next week I'll start the diet. Definitely. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for explaining, but I hardly doubt that caricature resembles you--but I get your point. Where did our metabolism go??! I probably don't watch too much TV, but I SIT too much. And that seems to be the deadly thing to do these days. If it's not one thing, it's another--I should probably move to a farm and start doing some real work. Office work definitely isn't good for the human bod! And I loved your "short-lived" rant--I will NEVER forget how to pronounce it now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete